BrainFuck part 7 - Quine (+ some non-BF quine theory)
Let's start our BF quine. What to we need ?
- A data block
- A way to replicate the data block as data
- A way to print the data block, as contents
Given a data block as an array of chars, it's not really complex to do the 3rd part : for each char in memory, print it.
The second part is a bit more complex. Let's have in memory value 44 for example, how can we write code to generate 44?
There is no need to find a complex solution to this (with multiplications 4x11 or similar). Let's just have 44 times '+', then '>' to move to the next cell.
- Memory: empty
- Cursor: first cell
- Input: any
- Leave 4 empty cells
- Data definition - to be competed - a set of '+' and '>' that will fill memory
- Generate and print '>' 4 times (the first "Leave 4 empty cells" command)
- Then go to data array first cell
- Generate just before values 43(+) and 62(>)
- For each cell
- Move 3 cells to the left, and on every +1/-1 step print the 43(+)
- Print the 62(>)
- Move the 43 and 62 one cell on the right
- Go to array first cell
- For each cell
- print char
>>>> leave 4 empty cells $$$data definition$$$ to be completed ++++++++[->++++++++<]>--....[-] print (62) 4 times <<[<]< go 2 cells before array <++++++++[->+++++>++++++++<<] generate 40 and 64 >+++>--> then 43 and 62 and got to first data cell [ for each cell [-<<<+>.>>] move value 3 cells on the left and print 43 each time <. print 62 [->+<]<[->+<] moves 43 and 62 on the right >>>] loop <<<<[<]> Go to first array cell [.>] For each cell print char
- Memory: some garbage data
- Cursor: after the data array
- Input: unchanged
- Output: unchanged
Create your playground on Tech.io
This playground was created on Tech.io, our hands-on, knowledge-sharing platform for developers.