Getting Started With Rust
What is Rust?
Rust is a System Programming Language designed with memory safety and performance in mind. It was originially released in 2010 and is sponsored by Mozilla. Some notable projects being worked on include the Servo Browser, Hyper, an HTTP library, Iron and Rocket two web frameworks, and the Redox OS.
Why should I learn Rust?
- It's fun! It's been rated as Stack Overflow's "Most Loved Language" in 2016 and 2017!
- It's a young language with lots of potential growth ahead of it -- there are lots of projects that need help and lots of potential projects to start!
- The community is active, friendly, and welcoming.
- Performance Comparable to C and C++
- Memory Safety Without the Need for Garbage Collecion through its Ownership system
- Strong Type Inference
- While this is a Getting Started course, it is suggested to have experience programming in other languages before learning Rust.
- Basic Programming Fundamentals (i.e. I will not be explaining what a variable is, what functions are, etc)
What will be covered in this course:
- Binding Variables
- Primitive Data Types
- If/Else Statements & Loops
Create your playground on Tech.io
This playground was created on Tech.io, our hands-on, knowledge-sharing platform for developers.