This document will show you, through the simple game "Tic-tac-toe" how to create your own Multiplayer game and test it.
The source code is available on GitHub: https://github.com/CodinGame/game-tictactoe
However, it must be configured to allow Java 8 to run as the SDK uses some features that have been deprecated in recent Java versions
First of all, you need to download the source code of the game:
git clone https://github.com/CodinGame/game-tictactoe.git
Then, import this project as an existing maven project into your IDE:
- Eclipse: File > Import > Existing Maven Projects
- IntelliJ IDEA: Import Project > Select game-tictactoe > Import project from external model > Maven
Here's the file hierarchy for the project Tic-tac-toe:
. ├── config │ ├── Boss.java │ ├── config.ini │ ├── level1 │ │ └── statement_en.html │ ├── level2 │ │ └── statement_en.html │ └── stub.txt ├── pom.xml ├── README.md ├── src │ ├── main │ │ ├── java │ │ │ └── com │ │ │ └── codingame │ │ │ └── game │ │ │ ├── Player.java │ │ │ └── Referee.java │ │ └── resources │ │ └── view │ │ ├── assets │ │ │ └── Background.jpg │ │ └── config.js │ └── test │ ├── java │ │ ├── Main.java │ │ ├── Player1.java │ │ └── Player2.java │ └── resources │ └── log4j2.properties
- ./config: contains settings such as the statement, number of players, etc.
- ./src/main/java: source code of the game itself
- ./src/main/resources: graphical assets and configuration of the view
- ./src/test/java: classes used for local development (AI codes to test your game)
Launch the game
The class to run is test/java/Main.java:
- Eclipse: Right click on Main.java > Run As > Java Application
- IntelliJ IDEA: Right click on Main > 'Run Main.main()'
This will launch a web server to serve a page with the viewer of the game.
Use this page to see the rendering of your game. It also allows you to export a zip archive of the game.
Deploy on codingame
Go to www.codingame.com, then click on Contribute > Create > Multiplayer Game.
Then, import on CodinGame the game you have exported during the previous step. The game will be compiled on our servers and a preview link will appear if the compilation succeeded and if the configuration is correct.
Create Your Own Game
Now that you are able to start a game on your computer and export it to CodinGame, you can start creating your own game. For that, it is suggested you start with the Skeleton: https://github.com/CodinGame/game-skeleton
If you do not have an artistic mind, we provide a Github asset repository with a lot of free graphical resources to bootstrap your game.