About Regular Expressions Basics
This course is designed as a fast, introductory course to Regular Expressions. Regular Expressions (aka Regex) are powerful tools used to perform very complex text searches with just a few lines of code.
Basic programming knowledge: Strings, Variables, Arrays, Loops, Functions. Regex searches can be used in almost any programming language. C# is used in this course, but only to store strings. You don't need any prior C# knowledge to complete the course.
What will I learn?
Students will learn the most important features of Regular Expressions:
- Reserved characters in Regex
- Capturing groups.
Why should I learn?
Regular Expressions are widely used in:
- General text searches: Find specific text, based on complex patterns.
- Input validation: Email/URL/IP validators.
- Input parsing: Getting values from a long input string.
- Web servers and proxies: Nginx and Apache use regex.
- Log analyzers: Searching for patterns in log files.
- Saving the day: https://xkcd.com/208/
But it's true. I saved my day by making a two line regex search for certain info in legal documents, reducing search times by 20x. The client was impressed at how smart my search was.